Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Easy, Quick Homemade Bread

I have said for a while now that I want to bake my own bread. Homemade bread is so much better tasting than the bread you buy in the store. We ran out of bread over the weekend and the kids wanted a sandwich. So I thought what better time than to try out my bread baking skills than now! I found this recipe in an old book. It was handwritten so I don't know where it came from. Soooooo yummy though! 


Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups all purpose flour


1.  In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in the yeast. Allow to proof for 20 minutes.

2.  Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix flour in one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. 
3.  Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn to coat the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and store in a warm, dry place for 1 hour.
4.  Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half.
5.  Place in well oiled bread pans and shape dough into loaves. Cover the pans and let them sit for 30 minutes. The dough should rise more.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy your very easy and very delicious bread!   
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment