Monday, January 23, 2012

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are a staple. Their recipes have been handed down from Mom's to Daughter's for years. I used to go through all these steps and ingredients to make my mashed potatoes. Here lately I have tried substituting some ingredients and there is absolutely no difference. And, these mashed potatoes are better for you than adding an entire block of cream cheese. (At least that is what I keep telling myself!) So because we have these every time we have meatloaf, chicken fried steak, BBQ anything, and whenever we get a craving I wanted them to be easy to whip up. I hope you enjoy!

Easiest Mashed Potatoes I Have Ever Made:
6-8 Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Stick Butter
1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (Trust Me!)
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Half & Half
Salt 
Pepper

Peel your potatoes, quarter them, and throw them into some boiling water. Let the potatoes cook for about 30 minutes or until you can slide a fork into them with no resistance. Drain the water and place the potatoes into a large bowl.
 Add your butter into the potatoes and let it melt. Now add in your Half & Half and start mashing. Pause for a second and lets talk about the entire mashing process. Mash with a hand masher, always mash by hand. I used to use a mixer and I would end up with mashed potatoes that looked like grits. Potatoes have starch in them and when you use an electric mixer it breaks that starch up and you end up with goo. So moral of the story, hand mash! OK, back to mashing. I only mash a little before I add in the yogurt, salt, and pepper. Now it is time to roll your sleeves up and get down to business. Mash until they are the consistency that you like. We like ours slightly lumpy, so when I get all of the big lumps mashed, I stop.



Look at that creamy, lumpy, goodness! YUMMY! 
 

See, the easiest way to make mashed potatoes! The longest part of making these is boiling them. Time to eat!
Froggy Mom

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment