Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slow Goin' Pulled Pork

I work six days a week. Some days I want to come home and just pass out on the couch and let the family fend for themselves for dinner. If I know I am going to have a hard week or that I am going to be working late, I will make a big batch of pulled pork. Pulled pork makes my taste buds sing! It also goes a long way. I try to keep one of these in the freezer for when I know I won't be able to get to the store for a couple of days. I will slow cook it one day and we eat off of it for two or three days after! Talk about an easy dinner! This is the dinner that keeps on giving....it gave us dinner Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. You can make this in either a crock pot or in the oven. Personal preference, or the size of the shoulder can help finalize that decision. In my case the size dictated that I cook this one in the oven. 

Slow Goin' Pulled Pork:
2 - Apples (Doesn't matter what brand or color) 
5 - 8lb Pork Shoulder
2 - Cans of Root beer (A&W)
1 - Onion, quartered
2 - Tbs of grape jelly
1/2 Cup of BBQ Sauce
Salt 
Pepper
Meat Tenderizer

First thing's first, quarter your onions and one apple. Lay them down on the bottom of the pan so that you can lay the pork shoulder on top.  Take your jelly and scoop it out on top of the pork and rub it all around with your hands. Yep, you gotta get those hands dirty! Lay the pork on the apple and onion. Season with your salt, pepper, and meat tenderizer. Flip the pork over carefully and do the same to the other side. Now take root beer and pour it into the pan, both cans......don't be shy! Quarter your other apple and lay the pieces over the top of the meat. Pour your BBQ sauce on top and cover. Place the meat in a preheated oven at 200 degrees and let it cook for 6 hours. About half way through you want to come back and flip the shoulder and baste. When you pull this out of the oven it is falling apart! I put it on the counter to shred the meat and most of it was already shredded! Love it when the meat does all the work. Take two forks and shred all of the meat. Place all of your shredded meat into a large bowl and add a couple of spoon fulls of the remaining liquid from the pan over the top! Yummo! Ready, Set, EAT!!!!!!
 

Stop by tomorrow to see how we put the leftovers to good use! 
Enjoy!
The Froggy Mom
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment